About Us

Meeting Details

Policy and Resources Committee
27 Jan 2015 - 10:30 to 11:43
Occurred
  • Documents
  • Attendance
  • Visitors
  • Declarations of Interests

Documents

Agenda

Agenda Items
1 Apologies for Absence
To receive any apologies for absence.
2 Named Substitutes
To receive details of any Member of the Authority nominated to attend the meeting in place of a Member of the Committee.
3 Declarations of Interest (if any)
This item allows the Chairman to invite any Councillor to declare an interest in any of the items on this Agenda.
1
None
To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 19 November 2014.
2
RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting of the Policy and Resources Committee held on 19 November 2014 be confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.
To review the current position in relation to budgets for 2015/16 and beyond, and to make recommendations to the Fire Authority (FRA).
3
Members were advised of the current position in relation to budgets for 2015/16 and beyond. Provisional information had now been received to finalise some of the figures in the resourcing side of the budget equation, specifically; share of government grant totals, special grants and government estimates of business rate yield. It was confirmed that there had been reductions in special grant in respect of USAR and as a result of the transfer of an IRU vehicle to Gloucestershire. Members were also advised that the budget now included savings due to the pay awards for 2014 and the net consequence of joining the property JPV.  The Authority will meet on 18 February 2015 to agree a budget and precept for 2015/16.

RESOLVED that the Fire Authority be recommended to:
  • increase council tax by £1.44 per year (1.94%) for 2015/16;
  • plan for an annual 2% increase in council tax thereafter; and
  • plan for budget changes as set out in the report appendix.
To report progress to the Committee regarding the provision of a new fire station in Hereford.
4
Members were updated on the progress regarding the provision of a new fire station in Hereford and informed that significant work was being undertaken to locate an acceptable site. It was confirmed to Members that the Bath Street site would not proceed but Officers were potentially looking at three further sites with the Council and hoped an update would be available in March.

RESOLVED that the progress towards identifying a site for a replacement fire station in Hereford be noted.
To update Members on negotiations with Wychavon District Council for the redevelopment of the existing site and provision of a new fire station in Evesham.
5
Members were updated on negotiations with Wychavon District Council for the redevelopment of the existing site and provision of a new fire station in Evesham. Wychavon District Council wish to redevelop the existing Evesham Fire Station site as a Waitrose supermarket in order to improve the economic vitality of the town. In exchange, they will pay most of the costs for the constructon of a new fire station and replacement STF, which will then belong to the Fire Authority. Members were advised that the Fire Authority will contribute £150,000 - £250,000 towards the total costs.

RESOLVED that the Head of Legal Services, in consultation with the Chief Fire Officer and Director of Finance, be authorised to enter into an agreement with Wychavon District Council for the sale and replacement of Evesham Fire Station on the terms set out in the report.
To inform the Committee of the intention to drive forward and resource the protective security agenda noting the organisational impact and benefits of this, in particular the Public Services Network (PSN) accreditation.
6
Members were informed of the intention to drive forward and resource the protective security agenda noting the organisational impact and benefits of this, in particular the Public Services Network (PSN) accreditation.

RESOLVED that the following be noted:
  • a Service-wide programme is being undertaken to raise awareness of protective security issues; and
  • a scheme of capital inprovements to enhance building security is to be undertaken and will be funded from the existing aproved minor capital works budget.
To recommend that the Committee establishes a Panel to consider and determine disputes in relation to Pensions Schemes.
7
Members were advised of the requirement to establish a Panel to consider and determine disputes in relation to Pensions Schemes. This will provide a formal mechanism for the involvement of Authority Members to consider second stage complaints.

RESOLVED that the Committee establishes a Pensions Appeals Panel and approves the terms of reference for the Panel.
To provide an update on the activities and items of significance from the Service’s Health and Safety Committee.
8
Members were updated on the activities and items of significance from the Service's Health and Safety Committee.

RESOLVED that the Committee note that the Health and Safety statistics indicate the Service has robust Health and Safety arrangements in place.

Attendance

Name
No other member attendance information has been recorded for the meeting.
NameReason for Sending ApologySubstituted By
Councillor Mr Philip Gretton  
Councillor Mr Adrian Hardman  
Councillor Mr Jim Kenyon  
Councillor Mr Kit Taylor Councillor Mr Tony Miller
NameReason for AbsenceSubstituted By
No absentee information has been recorded for the meeting.

Declarations of Interests

Member NameItem Ref.DetailsNature of DeclarationAction
No declarations of interest have been entered for this meeting.

Visitors

Visitor Information is not yet available for this meeting